HMB: Health & Disease
The objective of the HMB: Health & Disease program is to provide students with a solid foundation in the biological sciences as it relates to basic human physiology and the mechanisms of disease and to facilitate the integration of concepts from across the life sciences, social sciences and humanities. In addition, students will acquire skills in laboratory science, experience with quantitative approaches, and develop effective communication skills to provide an appropriate background essential to research and problem solving in this field.
This is an open enrolment program. A student who has completed 4.0 credits may enrol in the program.
Required Courses (8.0 credits, including a 0.5 credit at the 400-level)
To help students proceed through the program, it is recommended that first year life science requirements are completed before entering the program.
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems
- ( CHM135H1 and CHM136H1)/ CHM151Y1
Transfer credits will be accepted in lieu of the chemistry requirements only if they carry a direct exclusion or equivalency to a pre-approved chemistry course
- MAT135H1/ PHY131H1/ PHY151H1
Biological Foundations of Living Systems
Health & Disease Concentration Courses
9. HMB302H1/ HMB322H1
10. 0.5 credit from: HMB385H1/ HAJ453H1/ HMB401H1/ HMB402H1/ HMB422H1/ HMB432H1/ HMB434H1/ HMB436H1/ HMB437H1/ HMB440H1/ HMB441H1/ HMB442H1/ HMB443H1/ HMB452H1/ HMB453H1/ HMB462H1/ HMB470H1/ HMB471H1/ HMB472H1/ HMB473H1/ HMB474H1/ EHJ352H1/ JEH455H1/ ANA300Y1/ ANA301H1/ BCH311H1/ CSB345H1/ EEB325H1/ LMP301H1/ LMP363H1/ LMP403H1/ LMP406H1/ NFS485H1/ NFS486H1/ PCL302H1/ PCL362H1/ PCL386H1/ PCL469H1/ PCL470H1/ PCL482H1/ PCL483H1/ PSL350H1/ PSL404H1/ PSL421H1/ PSL425H1
Data Analysis and Courses in Advanced Research, Laboratory, or Cellular Molecular Topics
11. 0.5 credit in statistics: EEB225H1/ STA220H1/ STA288H1/ PSY201H1
12. 0.5 credit from: HMB312H1/ HMB314H1/ HMB323H1/ HMB342H1/ HST373H1/ HMB490Y1/ HMB491Y1/ HMB496Y1*/ BCH311H1/ CSB349H1/ PSL350H1
* A research project from a different unit may be accepted with prior written approval from Human Biology.
Health & Disease Major Notes:
1. Courses can only count toward one requirement, even if listed as options to multiple requisites of the program
2. Not all courses listed have priority enrolment for Health & Disease majors. Students are responsible for checking priority of courses and meeting course prerequisites for courses they wish to take.
3. The Health & Disease major cannot be paired with any other Human Biology Program managed major program.
Health & Disease Centric Courses
HAJ453H1/ HMB453H1, HMB202H1, HMB302H1, HMB312H1, HMB322H1, HMB342H1, EHJ352H1, HMB402H1, HMB422H1, HMB432H1, HMB434H1, HMB435H1, HMB436H1, HMB437H1, HMB440H1, HMB441H1, HMB442H1, HMB452H1, JEH455H1, HMB462H1, HMB474H1