Students learn how genes and proteins organize cells for cellular activities, multicellular development, and cellular interactions with the environment. Students also learn how cell and molecular biology research is conducted, and receive training in advanced techniques of the field. Cell and molecular biology research is one the most demanding fields in science. Students gain an understanding of the field, and leave the program equipped to tackle fundamental scientific questions.
After foundational courses in first and second year, students participate in advanced lecture, seminar and laboratory courses, and are encouraged to apply for research project courses in the laboratories of the Department. Course offerings include gene expression, cell biology, developmental biology, plant development, plant-microbe interactions, plant signaling, neurogenesis, tissue morphogenesis, stem cell biology, genomics and proteomics.
This is an open enrolment program. A student who has completed 4.0 credits may enrol in program.
- BIO120H1, BIO130H1; ( CHM135H1, CHM136H1)/ CHM151Y1;
- 1.0 credit from JMB170Y1/ MAT135H1/ MAT136H1/ MAT137Y1/ MAT157Y1/ PHY131H1/ PHY132H1/ PHY151H1/ PHY152H1
- BIO220H1, BIO230H1/ BIO255H1
- BIO260H1/ HMB265H1; BCH210H1
- 1.0 credit from: CSB327H1, CSB328H1, CSB329H1, CSB331H1, CSB340H1, CSB353H1
- 1.5 credits (at least 0.5 credit at the 400-level) from: BCH422H1, BCH426H1, BCH440H1, BCH441H1, BCH444H1, BCH445H1, CJH332H1, CSB299Y1, CSB327H1, CSB328H1, CSB329H1, CSB330H1, CSB331H1, CSB340H1, CSB350H1, CSB351Y1, CSB352H1, CSB353H1, CSB397Y0, CSB399Y1, CSB427H1, CSB428H1, CSB429H1, CSB430H1, CSB431H1, CSB435H1, CSB447H1, CSB450H1, CSB451H1, CSB452H1, CSB454H1, CSB457H1, CSB458H1, CSB459H1, CSB460H1, CSB471H1, CSB472H1, CSB473H1, CSB474H1, CSB475H1, CSB483H1, CSB490H1, CSB491H1, CSB492H1, CSB497H1, CSB498Y1, CSB499Y1, HMB496Y1/ HMB499Y1, MGY480Y1. No more than 0.5 credit in BCH can be used towards this requirement.
The Cell & Molecular Biology Major Program has the additional option of a Disciplinary Focus.