This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Completed courses (with minimum grades)
The following courses with the stated minimum grades are required:
- 2.0 credits from FAH courses with a grade of 70% in each course
At least 9.0 FAH credits, and 2.0 credits in one or more languages including at least one German, French, or Italian, though an acceptable alternative modern language such as Dutch or Russian (or Chinese and/or another Asian language) may be acceptable. It is strongly recommended that students acquire a reading knowledge of German, French, or Italian by the end of the third year. Students specializing in Ancient or Medieval art should also recognize the importance of studying Greek and/or Latin. Students interested in pursuing Asian art history will need to acquire Chinese and/or Japanese and/or another Asian language.
1. At least 0.5 credit from each of Groups A, B, C, and D (see below for definitions).
2. 0.5 additional credit from each of Groups A and B.
3. No more than 3.5 credits may be taken at the 200-level.
4. 3.5 credits at the 300+level
5. 1.0 credit at the 400 level. No more than 1.5 credits at the 400-level will be counted toward fulfilling program requirements.
6. Approved courses in other programs may be substituted for up to 2.0 FAH credits. See Department website for details.
In addition, the Faculty of Arts and Science requires Art History Specialists who do not complete FAH338H1 to complete at least 0.5 credit in Arts and Science courses in Breadth Category 5: The Physical and Mathematical Universes.
Group A: Ancient, Medieval
FAH205H1, FAH206H1, FAH207H1, FAH208H1, FAH215H1, FAH216H1, FAH265H1, FAH303H1, FAH304H1, FAH307H1, FAH308H1, FAH309H1, FAH310H1, FAH311H1, FAH312H1, FAH313H1, FAH314H1, FAH318H1, FAH319H1, FAH325H1, FAH326H1, FAH327H1, FAH401H1, FAH402H1, FAH405H1, FAH406H1, FAH407H1, FAH415H1, FAH420H1, FAH421H1, FAH423H1, FAH424H1
Group B: Renaissance-Baroque, Modern-Contemporary-Canadian
FAH230H1, FAH231H1, FAH245H1, FAH246H1, FAH248H1, FAH252H1, FAH255H1, FAH330H1, FAH331H1, FAH335H1, FAH337H1, FAH338H1, FAH340H1, FAH341H1, FAH345H1, FAH346H1, FAH347H1, FAH348H1, FAH349H1, FAH350H1, FAH351H1, FAH352H1, FAH353H1, FAH354H1, FAH355H1, FAH430H1, FAH433H1, FAH434H1, FAH436H1, FAH438H1, FAH439H1, FAH440H1, FAH451H1, FAH446H1, FAH447H1, FAH448H1, FAH449H1, FAH452H1, FAH457H1, FAH458H1
Note: courses used to satisfy one group requirement cannot be counted toward another group requirement.