Physical and Environmental Geography offers science-based programs for students interested in an integrative approach to understanding the earths biotic and abiotic systems, including their spatial dynamics and the ways they are altered by human action. The programs provide a foundation in the subfields of climatology, biogeography, hydrology, and geomorphology. Students gain practical experience in lab and field settings. Technical skills taught also include data analysis, geospatial analytical tools, including GIS and Remote Sensing.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Variable Minimum Grade
A minimum grade is needed for entry, and this minimum changes each year depending on available spaces and the number of applicants. The following courses must be completed:
- 0.5 credit in GGR courses at the 100- or 200-level, with a minimum grade of 67%, or
- 1.0 credit in GGR courses at the 100- or 200-level, with a minimum grade of 63%
To ensure that students admitted to the program will be successful, applicants with a final grade or grade average lower than the minimum grades stated above will not be considered for admission. Please note that obtaining this minimum final grade does not guarantee admission to the program. Jointly-offered GGR courses will also be considered (e.g. JEG, JGI, JGE).
Applications: Any 4 courses (2.0 credits) from:
- Hydrology/GIS/Remote Sensing: GGR273H1, GGR274H1, GGR315H1/ GGR337H1, GGR373H1, GGR375H1, GGR386H1, GGR413H1, GGR414H1/ GGR415H1, GGR462H1, GGR472H1
- Climatology/Energy/Resources: GGR314H1, GGR334H1, GGR347H1, GGR348H1, GGR416H1
- Geomorphology: GGR301H1, GGR406H1, ESS241H1, ESS331H1
- Biogeography: GGR305H1, GGR308H1, ESS361H1, ESS461H1, ESS462H1
Up to 1.0 credit can be used from GGR493Y1, based on suitability of placement for this program, and approved by department. Any GGR course from the list for Core Courses and Fourth Year Courses not already used. Any course (0.5 credit) from Group I. No more than one from GGR273H1, GGR373H1.
Total credits: 8.0