Computational cognition is the interdisciplinary study of the information-processing underpinnings of cognitive mental processes. It seeks an understanding of cognition in mathematical terms and to apply this understanding to debates in artificial intelligence, cognitive psychology, and beyond.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Variable Minimum Grade Average
A minimum grade average in required courses is needed for entry, and this minimum changes each year depending on available spaces and the number of applicants. The following courses must be completed:
• COG250Y1 with a minimum grade, or
• 1.5 credits in CSC, LIN, PHL, or PSY with a minimum grade average based on the 1.5 credits. No more than 1.0 credits can be from any ONE of the listed course designators. If more than 1.5 credits have been completed, the minimum grade average will be based on the higher course grades.
Students are responsible for checking co- and prerequisites for all courses. Not all courses are offered on a regular basis. A list of approved Cognitive Science courses can be found on the website: https://www.uc.utoronto.ca/programs-study-academic-programs-cognitive-s…. [For any questions, consult the Cognitive Science Program Office, UC173, University College, 416-946-4025. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Program Director at: email@example.com]
Note that some Computer Science courses included below under Streams 1 and 2 have unlisted co- or prerequisites. Please consult the Faculty of Arts and Science Course Calendar. Those interested in the Science Major are advised to consider also registering for a Computer Science Specialist, Major, or Minor (for Stream 1) or a Human Biology Neuroscience Specialist or Major (for Stream 2).
Second Year and Higher:
- PSY290H1 and PHL342H1
- 2.5 credits from Computational Cognition Stream courses:
- COG260H1/ COG341H1/ COG342H1/ COG343H1/ COG344H1/ COG345H1/ COG415H1/ COG498H1/ COG499H1/ CSC207H1/ CSC304H1/ CSC311H1/ CSC324H1/ CSC384H1/ CSC401H1/ CSC413H1/ CSC420H1/ CSC485H1/ CSC486H1/ JLP315H1/ JLP374H1/ JLP471H1/ LIN102H1/ LIN228H1/ LIN232H1/ LIN241H1/ LIN323H1/ LIN331H1/ LIN341H1/ NEW333H1/ BPM333H1/ NEW438H1/ BPM438H1/ PHL240H1/ PHL245H1/ PHL246H1/ PHL345H1/ PHL347H1/ PHL348H1/ PHL349H1/ PHL355H1/ PSY210H1/ PSY220H1/ PSY230H1/ PSY260H1/ PSY270H1/ PSY280H1/ PSY290H1/ PSY312H1/ PSY305H1/ PSY316H1/ PSY330H1/ PSY331H1/ PSY362H1/ PSY370H1/ PSY371H1/ PSY372H1/ PSY378H1/ PSY379H1/ PSY380H1/ PSY414H1/ PSY475H1
- No more than 1.5 credits of the 2.5 credits required from this list of options may come from any single 3-letter course designator, except for CSC courses.
- For CSC courses, a minimum of 1.0 credit and up to 2.0 credits must be chosen. At least 1.0 credit of the 2.5 credits must be at the 300-level.
Note: Effective Fall 2021, courses associated with New College's Buddhism, Psychology and Mental Health program will have the new "BPM" designator.