This program is designed to prepare a student for professional work as an actuary, and more generally in the financial risk management industry.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Completed courses (with minimum grades)
The following courses with the stated minimum grades are required:
- MAT137Y1 (63%)/ MAT157Y1 (60%)
- MAT223H1/ MAT240H1 (should be taken in first year, enforced as a prerequisite for MAT237Y1)
- ECO101H1, ECO102H1
To be completed before the end of Second Year:
- STA130H1 (strongly recommended to be taken in the first year, due to priority enrollment given to first-year students)
- CSC108H1/ CSC120H1/ CSC148H1. A student who has completed CSC110Y1 also fulfills this program requirement.
- A set of mandatory courses (3.5 credits): ACT348H1, ACT370H1, ACT451H1, ACT452H1, STA302H1, STA314H1, ACT350H1
- 2.0 credits to be selected from lists 1 and 2 (students can only use at a maximum 1.0 credit from list (2), the practice oriented courses, to fulfill program requirements):
(1) ACT349H1, ACT371H1, ACT455H1, ACT460H1, ACT466H1, STA457H1, STA414H1, and
(2) ACT372H1, ACT470H1, ACT471H1, ACT473H1, ACT475H1.
- Professional Experience Course ACT390H1: students are strongly recommended to complete this course in the Fall semester of the third year.
- Actuarial Professional Internship ACT391H1: a full-time work term in an actuarial field (at least 420-hour long).
- In order to enroll in ANY 300- or 400-level ACT course, the minimum grade of 63% must be obtained in each of ACT240H1, ACT245H1 and ACT247H1. The enrolment requirements and the prerequisites for all ACT courses will be strictly enforced.
- Students who have an interest in pursuing studies in mathematical finance should consider taking MAT244H1, MAT336H1/ MAT337H1 and APM346H1. Students in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program who have successfully completed ACT348H1 and ACT349H1 may request to enroll in the following RSM courses (provided the appropriate prerequisites and corequisites are met): RSM430H1, RSM433H1, RSM437H1. MAT246H1 is recommended (not required) for students in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program.
- Wherever possible, the expectation is that the student will be paid based on industry standards for the duration of the work term.