This program is designed to prepare a student for professional work as an actuary, and more generally in the financial risk management industry.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Completed courses (with minimum grades)
The following courses with the stated minimum grades are required:
- MAT137Y1 (63%)/ MAT157Y1 (60%)
- MAT223H1/ MAT240H1 (should be taken in first year, enforced as a prerequisite for MAT237Y1)
- ECO101H1, ECO102H1
To be completed before the end of Second Year:
- CSC108H1/ CSC120H1/ CSC148H1. A student who has completed CSC110Y1 also fulfills this program requirement.
- A set of mandatory courses (3.5 credits): ACT348H1, ACT370H1, ACT451H1, ACT452H1, STA302H1, STA314H1, ACT350H1
- 2.0 credits to be selected from lists 1 and 2 (students can only use at a maximum 1.0 credit from list (2), the practice oriented courses, to fulfill program requirements):
(1) ACT349H1, ACT371H1, ACT455H1, ACT460H1, ACT466H1, STA457H1, STA414H1, and
(2) ACT372H1, ACT470H1, ACT471H1, ACT473H1, ACT475H1.
- Professional Experience Course ACT390H1: students are strongly recommended to complete this course in the Fall semester of the third year.
- Actuarial Professional Internship ACT391H1: a full-time work term in an actuarial field (at least 420-hour long).
- If you are unable to complete STA130H1 in your first year of study, this requirement must be fulfilled with one of the following 0.5 credits to fulfill your 13.0-credit program requirements: ACT455H1, ACT460H1, ACT466H1, STA457H1, STA414H1. The course taken in lieu of STA130H1 cannot be one that is being used to satisfy Requirement 2 in the completion requirements for Higher Years.
- In order to enrol in ANY 300- or 400-level ACT course, the minimum grade of 63% must be obtained in each of ACT240H1, ACT245H1 and ACT247H1. The enrolment requirements and the prerequisites for all ACT courses will be strictly enforced.
- Students who have an interest in pursuing studies in mathematical finance should consider taking MAT244H1, MAT336H1/ MAT337H1 and APM346H1. Students in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program who have successfully completed ACT348H1 and ACT349H1 may request to enroll in the following RSM courses (provided the appropriate prerequisites and corequisites are met): RSM430H1, RSM433H1, RSM437H1. MAT246H1 is recommended (not required) for students in the Actuarial Science Specialist Program.
- Wherever possible, the expectation is that the student will be paid based on industry standards for the duration of the work term.