Visit the European Studies Program website for updated information about requirements, course offerings, and events: https://munkschool.utoronto.ca/ceres/study-at-ceres/ or consult Professor Robert Austin, Undergraduate Coordinator, Room 126N, Munk School of Global Affairs (416-946-8942, firstname.lastname@example.org) for general program requirements.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Completed courses (with minimum grades)
The following courses with the stated minimum grades are required:
For students with no prior language experience:
- One Y or two H courses of the following (1.0 credit in a single language) with a final grade of 65% in each course: EST100H1 and EST101H1, FSL100H1 and FSL102H1, FSL121Y1, GER100Y1, HUN100Y1, ITA100Y1, MGR100H1 and MGR101H1, PRT100Y1, SLA100H1 and SLA101H1, SLA105Y1, SLA106H1 and SLA116H1, SLA107Y1, SLA108Y1, SLA109Y1, SPA100Y1
For students who are exempted from a first-year language course (i.e. those with some prior language skills):
- One Y or two H courses of the following (1.0 credit in a single language) with a final grade of 65% in each course: EST200H1 and EST201H1, FIN200H1 and FIN210H1, FSL221Y1, GER200Y1, GER300Y1, GER370H1 and GER372H1, HUN200Y1, ITA250Y1, MGR245Y1, PRT220Y1, SLA204Y1, SLA206H1 and SLA207H1, SLA257H1 and SLA277H1, SLA208Y1, SLA220Y1, SPA220Y1
(7.0 credits, including at least 2.0 credits at the 300+ level, 0.5 of which must be at the 400-level.)
The distribution of the 7.0 credits is as follows:
- A two-year progressive sequence of courses in a single language totaling 2.0 credits. Specific language choices are listed below.
- An additional 1.0 credit in the single language already chosen, or 1.0 credit in non-language courses related to your chosen language of study. Variations on this can be discussed with the Program Coordinator.
- 2.0 credits in the required core courses: 1.0 credit offered by the Department of History ( EUR200Y1) and 1.0 credit from POL219H1, POL324H1, POL358H1, POL359Y1, POL359H1, POL387H1, or any POL course with European content approved by the Program Coordinator.
- EUR498H1 - Special Topics in European Studies, worth 0.5 credit.
- The remaining 1.5 credits in elective courses chosen from a list of eligible electives or any course with European content approved by the Program Coordinator.
- Students are expected to consult with the Program Coordinator for assistance with and advice on course selection.
- After consultation with the Program Coordinator, exceptions may be made in certain cases regarding the sequence of language courses based on prior and documented exposure to the language in question.
- Some of the courses listed below may have prerequisites; some may be offered in alternate years. Consult the Program Coordinator for up-to-date information.
1.0 credit from one the following languages:
- Estonian: EST100H1 and EST101H1
- Finnish: FIN100H1 and FIN110H1
- French: ( FSL100H1 and FSL102H1)/ FSL121Y1
- German: GER100Y1
- Hungarian: HUN100Y1
- Italian: ITA100Y1
- Modern Greek: MGR100H1 and MGR101H1
- Portuguese: PRT100Y1
- Russian: SLA100H1 and SLA101H1
- Czech: SLA105Y1
- Polish: SLA106Y1/ ( SLA106H1 and SLA116H1)
- Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian: SLA107Y1
- Ukrainian: SLA108Y1
- Macedonian: SLA109Y1
- Spanish: SPA100Y1
2. 1.0 credit from one of the following languages:
- Estonian: EST200H1 and EST201H1
- Finnish: FIN200H1 and FIN210H1
- French: FSL221Y1
- German: GER200Y1/ GER300Y1/ ( GER370H1 and GER372H1)
- Hungarian: HUN200Y1
- Italian: ITA250Y1
- Modern Greek: MGR245Y1
- Portuguese: PRT220Y1
- Czech: SLA204Y1
- Polish: SLA206H1 and SLA207H1
- Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian: SLA257H1 and SLA277H1
- Ukrainian: SLA208Y1
- Macedonian: SLA209H1
- Russian: SLA220Y1
- Spanish: SPA220Y1
2. 1.0 credit from one of the following languages, or 1.0 credit in non-language courses related to your chosen language of study, selected in consultation with the Program Coordinator:
- Estonian: EST300Y1
- Finnish: FIN300H1 and FIN340H1
- French: FSL321Y1/ FSL421Y1/ ( FSL442H1 and FSL443H1)
- German: GER300Y1/ ( GER370H1 and GER372H1)/ GER400H1
- Hungarian: HUN310Y1
- Italian: ITA350Y1
- Modern Greek: MGR300H1 and MGR301H1
- Portuguese: PRT320Y1/ PRT322H1/ PRT364H1/ PRT420H1
- Czech: 1.0 credit can be fulfilled through an independent study or another course approved in joint consultation with CERES and Slavic undergraduate coordinators. Please consult with CERES and Slavic departments to get approval.
- Polish: SLA306H1 and SLA336H1
- Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian: SLA337H1, and additional 0.5 credit can be fulfilled through an independent study or another course approved in joint consultation with CERES and Slavic undergraduate coordinators. Please consult with CERES and Slavic departments to get approval.
- Ukrainian: SLA308Y1
- Russian: SLA320Y1/ SLA321H1
- Spanish: SPA320Y1/ SPA323H1/ ( SPA420H1 and SPA421H1)
2. Remaining courses to be selected from the list of eligible electives below. The most up-to date list of electives is on the program website. Students may also petition the Program Coordinator to take other courses in the calendar as electives, provided they have substantial European and/or Eurasian content.
Current Eligible Electives (for approval on courses outside the list or for transfer credits, please consult the Program Coordinator):
ANT446H1; ECO230Y1, ECO301Y1, ECO303Y1, ECO342Y1; ENG329H1, ENG340H1, ENG341H1; EST400Y1; EUR300H1; FCS195H1, FCS297H1, FCS310Y1, FCS331H1, FCS395H1; FIN230H1, FIN235H1, FIN240H1, FIN250H1, FIN260H1, FIN340H1, FIN350H1, FIN415H1; FRE320H1, FRE324H1, FRE326H1; GGR339H1, GGR344H1, GGR361H1; GER150H1, GER204H1, GER205H1, GER232H1, GER150H1, GER261H1, GER321H1, GER322H1, GER323H1, GER326H1, GER336H1, GER350H1, GER362H1, GER410H1, GER421H1, GER425H1; HIS208Y1, HIS245Y1, HIS251Y1, HIS302H1, HIS309H1, HIS317H1, HIS325H1, HIS330H1, HIS331H1, HIS334Y1, HIS335H1, HIS337Y1, HIS338H1, HIS339Y1, HIS344Y1, HIS349H1, HIS351Y1, HIS353Y1, HIS354Y1, HIS355H1, HIS361H1, HIS364H1, HIS371H1, HIS388H1, HIS401H1, HIS407H1, HIS414H1, HIS415H1, HIS416H1, HIS418H1, HIS421Y1, HIS422H1, HIS431H1, HIS433H1, HIS439H1, HIS442H1, HIS445H1, HIS449Y1, HIS451H1, HIS453H1, HIS455H1, HIS458Y1, HIS459H1, HIS460H1, HIS461H1, HIS477H1, HIS488H1, HIS490H1; HUN335H1, HUN345H1, HUN355H1, HUN356H1; INI381H1, INI382H1; ITA210Y1, ITA240Y1, ITA245Y1, ITA301H1, ITA310H1, ITA326H1, ITA340H1, ITA341H1, ITA346H1, ITA347H1, ITA381H1, ITA405H1, ITA410H1, ITA415H1, ITA421H1, ITA441H1, ITA455H1, ITA491H1, ITA492H1; JHP304Y1, JHP435Y1, JHP454Y1; JPD439Y1; JPP343Y1; MUN200H1; PHL210Y1, PHL217H1, PHL265H1, PHL310H1, PHL311H1, PHL312H1, PHL315H1, PHL316H1, PHL317H1, PHL320H1, PHL321H1, PHL322H1, PHL326H1, PHL338H1, PHL365H1, PHL388H1; POL200Y1, POL207Y1, POL317Y1, POL320Y1, POL321H1, POL324Y1, POL332H1, POL344H1, POL354H1, POL359Y1, POL368Y0, POL372H1, POL405Y1, POL414H1, POL415H1, POL422Y1, POL437H1, POL440Y1, POL452Y1, POL453Y1; PRT250H1; SLA202H1, SLA205H1, SLA215H1, SLA216Y1, SLA217H1, SLA218Y1, SLA222H1, SLA225H1, SLA226H1, SLA228H1, SLA234H1, SLA241H1, SLA242H1, SLA244H1, SLA247H1, SLA248H1, SLA252H1, SLA302H1, SLA303H1, SLA315H1, SLA318H1, SLA322H1, SLA327H1, SLA328H1, SLA331H1, SLA337H1, SLA339H1, SLA340H1, SLA343H1, SLA344H1, SLA346H1, SLA356H1, SLA380H1, SLA404H1, SLA405Y1, SLA406H1, SLA407H1, SLA414H1, SLA417H1, SLA424H1, SLA425Y1, SLA434Y1, SLA436H1, SLA441H1, SLA442H1, SLA449H1, SLA453H1, SLA458H1, SLA460H1, SLA463H1, SLA465H1, SLA475H1, SLA476H1, SLA485H1, SOC341Y1, SOC350Y1; SPA325H1, SPA341H1, SPA345H1, SPA435H1.