Today’s cognitive scientists are more interested than ever before in the way the brain implements the information-processing underpinnings of cognitive mental processes. The study of cognition and the brain is the study, grounded in cognitive neuroscience, of those aspects of brain activity directly relevant to the performance of cognitive functions.
This is a limited enrolment program. Students must have completed 4.0 credits and meet the requirements listed below to enrol.
Variable Minimum Grade Average
A minimum grade average in required courses is needed for entry, and this minimum changes each year depending on available spaces and the number of applicants. The following courses must be completed:
• COG250Y1 with a minimum grade, or
• 1.5 credits in CSC, LIN, PHL, or PSY with a minimum grade average based on the 1.5 credits. No more than 1.0 credits can be from any ONE of the listed course designators. If more than 1.5 credits have been completed, the minimum grade average will be based on the higher course grades.
Students are responsible for checking co- and prerequisites for all courses. Not all courses are offered on a regular basis. A list of approved Cognitive Science courses can be found on the website: https://www.uc.utoronto.ca/cognitive-science. For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that some Computer Science courses included below under Streams 1 and 2 have unlisted co- or prerequisites. Please consult the Faculty of Arts and Science Course Calendar. Those interested in the Science Major are advised to consider also registering for a Computer Science Specialist, Major, or Minor (for Stream 1) or a Human Biology Neuroscience Specialist or Major (for Stream 2).
Second Year and Higher:
- PSY290H1 and PHL342H1
- BIO120H1/ BIO130H1 (may be taken in Year 1), BIO220H1 and 1.5 credits from Cognition and the Brain stream courses:
- COG260H1/ COG341H1/ COG342H1/ COG343H1/ COG344H1/ COG345H1/ COG415H1/ COG498H1/ COG499H1/ JLP315H1/ JLP374H1/ JLP471H1/ JLS472H1/ JLS473H1/ NEW333H1/ BPM333H1/ NEW438H1/ BPM438H1/ PHL355H1/ PHL357H1/ PSY210H1/ PSY260H1/ PSY280H1/ PSY312H1/ PSY313H1/ PSY316H1/ PSY326H1/ PSY330H1/ PSY331H1/ PSY362H1/ PSY370H1/ PSY371H1/ PSY372H1/ PSY380H1/ PSY390H1/ PSY395H1/ PSY396H1/ PSY397H1/ PSY414H1/ PSY417H1/ PSY425H1/ PSY450H1/ PSY473H1/ PSY474H1/ PSY475H1/ PSY492H1/ PSY493H1/ PSY494H1/ PSY495H1/ PSY496H1/ PSY497H1
- 1.0 credit must be at the 300-level
Note: Effective Fall 2021, courses associated with New College's Buddhism, Psychology and Mental Health program will have the new "BPM" designator.